Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Killing Goats

One of the funnier Aussies I've met out here walks in. We're not talking so he starts a new conversation:

"I killed a lot of goats once."

He then looks at us all with a worried look wondering what we'll think of him now.

"I was working for this company in Oman, filing papers to make a little money, and they kept saying hey you seem to know what you're doing and having me do things I didn't know how to do. That was how it was back then - no resume, just you seem to know what you're doing - why don't you do this task. So one day they tell me I'm going to manage the water purification system for this town nearby. I don't know any chemistry or crazy things, but they think I can do that, and there's this giant water pump, and these 2 giant tanks of chlorine they use on the water. They fill the tanks with these giant trucks all the time.

One day the tank starts leaking, and as it turns out chlorine will kill you. So I write a letter asking what to do about it. A week later someone writes back saying build a swimming pool, fill that pool with water, and then submerge the tank in it. The chlorine will safely leak into the pool for about a month and that will be that.

So I do that, and it really chlorinated the pool."

So we ask him what that has to do with goats.

"Oh, the goats were downwind from the pool."

No comments: